Summer is perfect for other outdoor activities as well, such as picnicking in the park or going out on a vacation or attending outdoor music festivals.
But as tempting as it is to spend loads of time outdoors absorbing the sun, there are some things you should know before you cause serious damage to your skin. Avoid the sun when it is strongest - between 11am and 3pm – try and sit in the shade.
There are a few simple tricks for the best summer skin care so that you can show off great skin and take good care of it at the same time. Let us discuss five surefire tips to protect your skin in summer.
• Women should wear makeup with SPF coverage as it protects their skin from harsh sun rays. Also wearing lip balm with SPF protection is vital in summer as the skin of lips is thin and delicate and needs to be kept.
Sunscreen lotions should be applied 20 to 30 minutes before sun exposure. Reapply every 2 hours; always reapply after swimming, exercise or excessive sweating.
• Wearing close weave cotton clothing in the sun – closer weave garments (such as cotton t-shirts) is beneficial as it gives better protection, but loose weave fabrics like cheesecloth, don’t give very much protection at all. Wear long sleeves and trousers and a hat that shades your face and neck.
• Getting up early and do some relaxing exercises are also important. Practice sheetali, sitkari or nadishuddhi Pranayam daily also protect your body from heat.
• While going out you should wear sun glasses with UV protector and carry umbrella or cap to protect your hairs from damage. Remember to protect your eyes with good quality sunglasses too, bigger or wrap-around sunglasses will also protect more of your face.
• Drink plenty of water and fresh juices. Fruit is low in fat and it contains the best source of glucose to maintain your blood sugar levels correctly, plenty of water-soluble fiber, and all the antioxidants that prevent cancer and slow down the ageing process.
It’s high in magnesium, which helps your muscles relax, and this in turn helps you cope with stress. Eat fruit in the morning, as this is when the body steps up its elimination function.