Sometimes communication is difficult because people talk too quickly on the phone. They forget that you may need time to assimilate what you've said, or to make notes.
When you need to understand callers more clearly;
- Ask them to speak more slowly
- Paraphrase what's been said
- Take the lead in conversation; this will enable you to set the pace to suit yourself
When you need to write notes;
- Ask callers to slow down so that you can make notes; they'll usually adjust the pace to give you time
- If they're still going too fast, start repeating what they say at the speed you're writing