Jeff Immelt, the Chairman and CEO of General Electric said:
The four most important words in business are "What do you think"?
Every employee wants the same things from their boss. Someone who;
- Believes in them and their potential
- Defines a clear and challenging task
- Locates this task within a broader organizational context or purpose
- Is available when needed for advice and coaching
- Is supportive and ensures they have the air cover resources necessary to succeed
- Provide feedback and appropriate awards
- Gives them space so that they can learn and develop
If managers are going to avoid the paradox of indispensability, we have to stand back from our day to day tasks and think. We have to create an environment where others can grow and be held responsible.